I don’t normally review independently self-published books, but this book was different. Time Crawlers was a quirky short story anthology of science fiction stories and it was right up my street! Plus Varun asked me so nicely! 🙂
About the Book
Alien Invasion, Dark Artificial Intelligence, Time-Travel, High-Tech Mythology, Djinn Folklore, Telekinetics, and life-consuming Cosmic Entities are some major themes in this book which has six tightly-knit, fast-paced Sci-Fi stories.
1. Nark-astra, The Hell Weapon: The weapons he possesses make him the destroyer of worlds, and he burns for revenge. A high-tech take on ancient Indian mythology.
2. Death by Crowd: The dark desires of the masses; darknet websites fueled by a crypto-currency. What lurks in the background – an advanced artificial intelligence?
3. Genie: He rubbed a lamp alright, but what he got was the shock of his life. An entirely sci-fi take on the djinn myth.
4. Time Crawlers: There are individuals who existing in multiple time periods at once, and there are those who know about them….
5. Eclipse: No attacks, no blood-shed, yet there was an invasion and a conquest. Who are these shapeshifter aliens being hounded by an eclipse?
6. The Cave: The fate of an advanced imperial race hangs in balance as a dark celestial entity meets a legendary protector.
Well, I really think that indie and self-published authors deserve a lot more respect than they deserve, especially after reading this!
I really enjoyed these interesting and engrossing short stories. If you are a sci-fi fan then you are going to love them! There is also a touch of fantasy about some of the stories which in a nice concept that really works well. I think that this would be a nice introduction to the genres to someone who hasn’t read them or is thinking of trying them out.
A very enjoyable read, the pages practically turn themselves. easy to read and all entertaining in different weird and wonderful ways,
My favourite by far was the title story “Time Crawlers”. Mind-bending stories about time are either really good or really bad, fortunately this is the former. Varun’s take is new and fresh and he still provides a tightly woven plot, as he paints a picture of a world where people can exist across across multiple time periods at once. Very clever and intriguing.
I could have read a whole lot more (more only criticism is that it is too short!) and hope that Varun is working on his next collection very soon!
About the Author
VARUN SAYAL is an engineer and MBA from I.I.T. and I.S.B. (top schools in India), who has been involved in theatre as a playwright, actor, and director, and has also been an independent movie-maker. His genre of writing is predominantly science fiction blended with mythology and a sprinkle of the gruesome actualities of life. In his own words:
“I think of each story as a surreal, fast-paced narrative that pulls in the reader right from the beginning, takes them through a voyage into an alternate dystopian realm, bequeathing to them images etched permanently on their minds. I live by the quote, ‘a true art calms a disturbed mind and disturbs a calm mind.’”
Follow him on twitter @vsa2
To get your own copy of Time Crawlers click here
Thanks so so much for reading and big thanks for Varun for getting in touch!
Lots of Bookish Love!